Google is on mission to reduce visibility of low value pages or over-optimized keywords pages. Here are some SEO strategies that will work in 2015.
1. Hummingbird friendly Keywords: Hummingbird brought many changes to how keywords are interpreted. It is now looking for actual search instead of matching separate keywords to pages. Keywords are important but the search algorithm understands conversational phrases that people are likely to use when they are searching for services. For example, instead of flowers, try keyword phrases like valentines bouquet, inexpensive flower arrangement. You can also target conversational phrases like where to buy flowers in bulk.
2. Website’s URL Structure: URLs and links are building blocks of website so make sure these two are search engine friendly and consistent. Website ranked higher that have streamlined URL structure rather than website having messy structure.
- Dynamic URLs: URLs that end in string of characters like id=13579&color=4&size=2&session=754839 are too long contains no keywords, have lower click through rates from search engine results as it is difficult for visitors to understand what page is about. So it is better to use static URLs than dynamic ones.
- Search engine ranking also get harmed if website pages have too many outbound links. Google sets limit of 100 links per page that should be relevant to the page. Try to focus on building outbound links to the quality site by adding at least two paragraphs on page with unique content.
3. Focus on having fewer Links: It’s better to have multiple relevant links from authority sites rather than having links from low quality sites.
- Editorial Links: These are the gold standard links that are coming from the articles that you write and publish on third party sites. To succeed you must understand site’s audience and find interesting topic not promotional, share it on social media when it is published.
- Co-Citation: Every time your brand and link of your site appears with the competitor site, it gives hint to Google that your site and other competitor sites are related to each other.
- Broken Link Building: This very useful tactic in which you can see the backlink profile of competitor’s site and see which resources links to them. To find the broken links check all the links on those resources.
4. Personalized Search Results: It is difficult to get accurate idea of how page ranks in search engine result for visitors who have never been to your site. Google is personalized search on the basis of your system history. Tracking location may be biased by you IP address and the location set under Google search tools. For example if you are Seattle and looking for restaurant in Houston, even if you set your location Houston, Google will assume from your IP address that you are someone in Seattle looking for a restaurant in Houston and return to the different results than it would for someone in the ground of Texas.
5. Secure Encryption: Google announces HTTPS as a ranking factor that means website using secure encryption that may boost up the search engine rankings. HTTPS is the most secure methods of exchanging information across the web that uses different means to protect transferred data. HTTPS has a long been a standard for transactional sites. It is a good practice to use for all sites that collects personal information like email subscription, account logins and also helps to build users trust.
Here is the common and simple tactics yet they are not easy they require time and effort. To get better results on your efforts, remind yourself that anything that’s good for searchers is, ultimately, good for search marketers.