If President Obama has his way the keys to the Internet will be handed over to some form of foreign entity. Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers aka Icann was founded by the US government in 1998. Icann controls and sets the policy for the Internet making sure it remains free and connecting users of the web to the proper websites they are seeking without hindrance.
Who is behind this? Russia and China have been calling for control of the Internet to be handed over to the United Nations. Imagine? The UN’s hatred of the US, Israel and other free societies is no secret. It is also one of the most incompetent agencies ever created. China and Russia have the goal of subverting and censoring the Internet. Both countries are tyrannical repressive governments wearing capitalistic clothing.
Is this what President Obama meant when he told Russian “President” Dmitry Medvedev, that he will have “more flexibility after election”? Was the selling out of the Ukraine part of the “flexibility”? Either way opposition to Obama’s plan is growing rapidly. President Clinton is quoted as saying, “a lot of people who have been trying to take this authority from the United States want to do it for the sole purpose of cracking down on Internet freedom, and limiting it, and having governments protect their backside, instead of empowering the people”. Bill Clinton nails it! No wonder he is missed and still popular.
What does Obama intend to do and what could be next for the Internet?
According to an April 3, 2014 article in the Wall Street Journal the following:
- Obama wants to relinquish US oversight of the Icann group to a group of global companies, engineers, academics and non-profits.
- Obama says he won’t cede oversight to a governmental organization.
- US pull back from the Internet is quite popular in non-democratic nations. Particularly Latin America and Africa.
- Republicans in Congress are outraged and fear giving up US oversight will open the door for countries to impose more repressive management of the Internet.
- Russia, China and other like governments want the UN to have more influence. They believe this will give them more control over how the Internet is run.
Worried? You damn well should be. There is absolutely no reason for the Obama Administration to do this. Obama’s plan will result in weakening our countries influence throughout the world. A country that offers all people of the world a beacon of hope and freedom.
Will Americans and lovers of liberty and freedom allow this to happen? If so one day web users everywhere will wake up and say, Dude! Where’s my Internet?